• Chris Morley

Making the most of your EPC assessment

When getting your property assessed for an EPC, you’re more than likely going to want it to score as highly as possible. Here are some of the easier things you can do in order to make the most of your EPC assessment.

  1. Make sure that as many of your lightbulbs are energy efficient ones.

Anything using traditional filament technology is seen as NOT low energy lighting. This includes…

Conventional filament lightbulbs

Halogen bulbs

Eco-Halogen bulbs

So, low energy lightbulbs are…

LED bulbs

LED Filament

Compact Florescent bulbs

Florescent tube lighting

2. Draughtproofing.

If you have any windows or doors that are wooden framed, make sure that they have been draughtproofed. Modern UPVC windows and doors are already fitted with draughtproofing so there’s no need to add any more to these.

3. Documentation.

If the property has had any extensions built, any insulation retrofitted, or had a loft conversion, then it’s really useful to me if any documentation relating to the works is available to be recorded as evidence (note: this is essential for ageing any loft conversions).

The following are common documents sometimes needed in order to age or spec any works carried out on your property appropriately. These can be provided either on the day (I can take photos of them), or via email.

The date of any extension or loft conversion (and therefor the building regulations that applied when the work was carried out) is very important, so a Building Regulations certificate of completion is the required document for this.

The specifications for any retrofitted insulation, if it can’t otherwise be observed/measured, is also useful. Loft insulation (joist) can be observed/measured, but floor or internal/external wall insulation generally cannot, so documentary evidence is required on these occasions. If nothing is available immediately, then a letter from the builder who carried out the work is an option. I can advise on this.

If your property has had it’s cavity filled, this can generally be identified by the marks left on the external wall (filled-in drill holes). If, however, the wall has since been rendered over then some documentation from the people who filled the cavity can be used as evidence. This is normally a certificate, or letter, issued at the time of the work being carried out.

Any FENSA documents, confirming the age of any windows, are also good to have as some windows don’t have date stamps on them.